Below is a collection of information regarding this year’s tiny house-related events at Earth Day Texas. I will continue to update this post with relevant information, so feel free to bookmark it and refer back as the date approaches.
The main page for the Earth Day Tiny House Village Exhibit is now live, here: http://earthdaytx.org/tiny-houses/
For up-to-the-minute updates, you’ll want to keep an eye on these sites:
- A Bed Over My Head – This Beth Ann Norrgard’s website. She’s the organizer of the Tiny House Village event at Earth Day Texas. You can also follow her on Facebook: A Bed Over My Head / Beth Ann Norrgard
- Tiny House Collaborative – This is the organization of tiny house luminaries who will be conducting this year’s workshops at Earth Day. You can also follow them on Facebook: Tiny House Collaborative
What is this event? Read more about the yearly Earth Day Texas festival, held at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas (this year it’s April 21st-23rd) here: EarthDayTx.org
For the fourth year running, Beth Ann Norrgard (of abedovermyhead.com) has arranged to host a handful of tiny houses for people to walk through and see in person, as well as talk to the homeowners. In addition to those open houses, we’ll also be hosting some tiny house builders for those who are interested in having someone else build their tiny for them!
What about the waiting lines? We heard your concerns last year about the long, confusing lines, and this year we have a solution. We’ll have the homes in different areas across the festival grounds in smaller “neighborhoods.” This will separate the crowds, and allow for easier flows of traffic throughout the day. The setup will be very similar to our tiny house exhibit set up at the Taste of Dallas event last year, if you were there.
In order to attend the tiny house tours, a ticket will be required. The ticket is $5 and must be purchased at the event (look for the table in front of the tiny house exhibits). Those tickets are good for all tiny house tour stops, but does NOT include the Tiny House Community and Zoning Workshops (more on that below).
If you’d like to volunteer to help us manage the exhibit, email me at email@example.com. Volunteers get a private tour of the homes on Thursday evening before the event opens to the public on Friday morning!
As mentioned above, there will be a workshop offered by the Tiny House Collaborative on Saturday and again on Sunday (8am to 12:30pm each day). The title of the workshop is “Tiny House Community and Zoning Workshop.” There is a $99 fee for the workshop, and you can get more details on their website here: Tiny House Community Creation Workshops and BA’s blog post here.
- Event date / hours:
- Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 10am-6pm
- Sat, Apr 22, 2017, 10am-6pm
- Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 10am-6pm
- Prices: The festival itself is free, tiny house tours require a $5 wristband, the tiny house workshops are $99 each.
- Where can I park? Fair Park, gates 2, 5, and 6. Cost is $10.
- Which public transit stop is closest? Take the DART rail (green line) to Fair Park – it’ll put you right at the front gate to the festival.
- Are dogs welcome? Dogs are allowed at the Earth Day Texas festival if they’re kept on a leash. It is up to each individual tiny house owner if the dog is allowed inside their home.
- What else should I bring? Reusable water bottle (they have refilling stations at the event), umbrella (for rain and shade), sunscreen, light jacket, camp chair / folding seat
- Which DIY houses are for sale? (details on the official Earth Day Texas page)
- Which tiny houses and owners will be at the exhibit?
- The Whittle Wagon (Andy Rue)
- SISU (Beth Ann Norrgard)
- This Little Home of Mine (Brittnie’ Harris)
- Simply Serenity (Chris McClory / Christina Mecca)
- The Paddleshack (Dale Adams)
- The Little Fish House (Demere O’Dell)
- Joyous Possibilities (Beth Burach)
- School of Life Bus (JT Lane / Tamra Lane)
- Terraform Tiny House (Richard Ward)
- Method to NOMADness (Sheena Henry / Ross Pennington)
- Pahnke Project (Susan Pahnke)
- Silver Bullet Tiny House (Vera Struck)
- There will be additional homes to tour, brought by professional tiny house building companies – I don’t have a list of those yet.
- Will there be a panel discussion?
- Check out BA’s post for details!
- Tiny House Collaborative (Saturday, time/location TBA)
- Moderator: Doug Athas, Mayor of Garland
- Participants: Beth Ann Norrgard, Lee Pera, Lina Minard
- Tiny House Lifestyles (Sunday, time/location TBA)
- Moderator: Kim Merrett, Dreams by the Acre
- Participants: Beth Ann Norrgard, Demere O’Dell, Jay Merrett, Richard Ward, Seth Chapman, Vera Struck
- How can I meet other tiny house people in the Dallas / Fort Worth area?
- Other groups:
- Event pages for Earth Day:
- Earth Day Texas Tiny House Village (Official site for Earth Day Texas)
- Earth Day Texas 2017 (Facebook, hosted by Tiny House Collaborative)
- Earth Day Texas 2017 (Facebook, hosted by Beth Ann Norrgard for DFW Tiny House Enthusiasts, must be a group member to view)
- Earth Day Texas 2017 (Facebook, hosted by A Bed Over My Head)
- Tiny House Village at Earth Day Texas (Meetup, hosted by Beth Ann Norrgard)
- Are tiny houses legal? Read this from Jay Austin.
- What actions have been taken to make them explicitly legal? Read this about the Tiny House Appendix and the IRC 2018, courtesy of Tiny House Build. Also, watch the “Living Tiny Legally” documentary about what other cities are doing to accommodate tiny houses, courtesy of Tiny House Expedition.
If you have more questions I haven’t covered here, please check the Earth Day Texas FAQ page, and then email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll update the post with your question and an answer if I have it.
Thanks, and hope to see you there!